As you may be aware, the Government of Canada has announced a temporary two-year cap on some international study permits. As part of this, undergraduate applicants will require a provincial attestation to study. Those pursuing a master or doctoral degree and current study permit holders are not impacted.
It’s also important to note that the University of Guelph, including our Guelph-Humber and Ridgetown campuses, are public institutions and are not impacted by the discontinuation of post-graduate work permits for public-private partnerships.
International students are important and valued members of our U of G community, and we are excited to welcome new students to our inclusive campuses for a diverse student experience. We are actively working to understand the impacts of these changes and will continue to provide updates. Given this is an evolving situation and subject to change, international students should refer to the IRCC for the most up to date information.
We are here to support future students. For undergraduate students who already have an offer of admissions to U of G, we encourage you to connect with our Global Prearrival Support Advisor if you have any further questions. You can also access our International Unibuddy Student Ambassador program to connect with a current international student at U of G enrolled in the program you are interested in.
Future Undergraduate Students:
- If you applied for your study permit BEFORE January 22, 2024, you are not required to submit an attestation letter. This announcement does not impact you.
- If you submitted your study permit application AFTER January 22, 2024, or if you have not yet applied, you will require an attestation letter. Please visit this government site for further details.
- Please note, the Ontario government issues attestation letters, not the University of Guelph. The government has until March 31, 2024, to finalize this processing.
*If you are a high school student studying outside of Canada, you apply to U of G by March 1, 2024, and you meet all admission requirements, you will be GUARANTEED admission to the program of your choice. APPLY NOW.
Future Graduate Students:
- The announcement does not apply to graduate student study permits. Please move forward as planned. If you have questions, connect with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For those interested in completing a masters program, including one-year course-based masters, monitor the IRCC website for expected changes that will make graduates eligible to apply for a three-year Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Current Undergraduate Students
- This announcement does not impact current undergraduate students.
Current Graduate Students
- This announcement does not impact current graduate students.
- For those about to complete a masters program, including one-year course-based masters, monitor the IRCC website for expected changes that will make graduates eligible to apply for a three-year Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Resources and Supports:
If you have an offer of admission to U of G and require support, please connect with the Global Pre-Arrival Support (GPS) Advisor at email@example.com.
If you do not have an offer of admission to U of G at this time and have questions, please contact Admission Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact email@example.com for graduate studies application support.
Current Undergraduate and Graduate:
This page will be updated with new information accordingly. Please follow us on social media for more updates and information.