The University of Guelph is committed to ensuring its learning, living and work environments are accessible and welcoming. This includes our facilities, products and services, including communications.
Skip to section on this page:
Communications are an important part of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The following guiding principles are based on the AODA Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Section Three: Establishment of policies, practices and procedures:
- Dignity – every person is valued and deserves full service
- Independence – every person can choose whether or not they need assistance
- Integration – every person can access the same service in the same way and same place
- Equal Opportunity – every person can benefit equally from the same options and services
Accessibility should be considered and prioritized in all communications. This includes:
- Audio and visual media
- Documents (print and digital)
- PowerPoint presentations
- Websites – including all documents available on publicly accessible websites
- Social media
In addition, the University of Guelph is committed to accessibility in its communications as follows:
- All electronic and printed materials produced by the University of Guelph are available in alternative formats upon request.
- When a request is received from a person with a disability, alternative formats will be made available at no additional cost and in a timely manner.
Communications requiring alternative formats should include a statement such as: This document is available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact: (insert contact name and telephone number).
These requirements are required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its regulations; the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, O. Reg. 429/07 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards, O. Reg. 191/11
Please visit the Digital Accessibility Resource Centre website for all resources to support accessible communications.
Website Accessibility Working Group Chair
Manager, Web & Development Solutions, Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
519-824-4120, Ext. 56306
Document Accessibility Working Group Chair
Manager, Library Accessibility Services
519-824-4120, Ext. 52312