COVID-19 - 2019 Novel Coronavirus

Travel COVID-19 FAQs

In alignment with government direction, the University of Guelph discourages non-essential personal travel at this time.

The Government of Canada’s Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act requires persons entering Canada to isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms of COVID-19, or to quarantine for 14 days if they are asymptomatic to limit the spread of COVID-19. Learn more about the Government of Canada’s travel restrictions.

For information about travel for research purposes, visit the Office of Research’s COVID-19 website.

As of Jan. 7, 2021, all air travelers will be required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. According to the federal government’s announcement:

Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 72 hours prior to the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada. Anyone who receives a negative test result and is authorized to enter Canada must still complete the full, mandatory 14-day quarantine.

People arriving or returning to Canada from any international destination, whether for business or personal reasons, must isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms of COVID-19, or quarantine for 14 days if they are asymptomatic, in keeping with the Government of Canada’s directive. Do not come to campus while you are isolating or in quarantine.

If you need to come to a U of G campus or facility once your isolation/quarantine period is over, complete U of G’s COVID-19 Screening Form first.

All University-funded or sponsored travel to countries outside of Canada is cancelled/postponed until further notice. This applies to faculty, staff, students and researchers, and includes international exchanges and placements.

For researchers, U of G travel includes all research-related travel that requires a travel reimbursement claim from the University of Guelph. Researchers should also take note of the update from CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC pertaining to travel claims related to COVID-19 travel disruptions.

New Travel Bookings

  • Do not book any new University-funded or sponsored travel outside of Canada.

Previously Booked Travel

  • If your travel must be cancelled, you should first attempt to recover funds paid prior to seeking reimbursement from the University.
    1. Check with your travel supplier and ask what accommodations they can make. Will they provide a refund, allow you to postpone your plans or provide a credit towards a future trip?
    2. Did you purchase travel insurance? If so, verify whether the cancellation is covered through the insurance.
    3. If you paid by credit card, inquire whether your travel is covered by trip cancellation insurance offered through your card provider.
  • If you followed the above steps and were unsuccessful in obtaining a refund, review the Process for Cancelled Travel Arrangements (section 5.b) from Financial Services.

Tri-Agency Funded Travel

  • Read a notice from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, regarding reimbursement for non-refundable Tri-Agency funded travel fees.

Other Research Funding Agencies

  • The University is the process of contacting other funding agencies to assess their policies regarding the changing COVID-19 situation. We will continue to provide updates as decisions are made.

Refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for information on options for nationals from other countries currently staying in Canada.

International students concerned about their study permits expiring can contact Matthew Keefe, International Student Advisor, at or 519-824-4120 Ext. 58698.