The most recent U of G Senate meeting was held Oct. 4. Below are key highlights from the meeting. A full synopsis of the meeting is available on the University Secretariat’s website.
President Charlotte Yates, Provost and Vice-President (Academic) Gwen Chapman and Vice-President (Research) Malcolm Campbell provided Senators with a number of updates, including information on:
- Return to campus, and the new COVID-19 Vaccination Report
- New provincial mandates relative to sexual violence and harassment policies at postsecondary institutions, and the work of the work of the Steering Committee on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Violence
- University activities undertaken in recognition of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- The work of the President’s Advisory Committee on Anti-Racism
- The ongoing Strategic Framework refresh
- Research continuity, and the development of the University’s next Strategic Research Plan
New Field in Philosophy of Data Science*
Senate approved the addition of a philosophy of data science field to the existing Master of Arts in philosophy program. The new field aims to produce graduates who are attentive to the social impacts of technology and who can align emerging technologies with shared social values.
The 2021-22 Senate by-elections concluded on Oct. 1. The following faculty were acclaimed:
- College of Engineering & Physical Sciences – Liliana Caballero and Marwan Hassan
- Lang School of Business & Economics – Sandeep Mishra
A complete listing of the 2021-22 Senate membership is available on the University Secretariat’s website.
Next Meeting of Senate
The next meeting of Senate will take place on Nov. 22 at 4 p.m. via web conference. Visitors interested in attending the meeting are asked to register through the University Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on the day of the meeting.
* New offerings may be subject to further approvals at the provincial or University level. Please contact the relevant department for further information about the availability and status of new offerings.