The most recent U of G Senate meeting was held October 3. Below are key highlights from the meeting. A full synopsis of the meeting is available on the University Secretariat’s website.
President Charlotte Yates provided Senators with a number of updates, including:
- The revisioning of the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario, which will be renamed the Biodiversity Institute for Conservation Synthesis (BICS)
- The opening of both the Lincoln Alexander Student Service Centre (LINC) and the new larger, more accessible entrance to the McLaughlin Library this summer.
Strategic Plan Approved, Board to Consider Oct. 19
Senate approved the University of Guelph Strategic Plan 2022-27. The plan will also be considered by the University Board of Governors at its meeting on October 19. The strategic plan lays out U of G’s vision for its future and charts its course forward, including through clearly articulated values, goals and objectives.
The development of the Strategic Plan was led by the Strategy Advisory Committee and informed by several rounds of consultation that have occurred over the last two years.
Strategic Research Plan Update
The University’s existing Strategic Research Plan (SRP) expires in 2022. A campus-wide consultation process has been undertaken over the past year in order to develop a renewed research plan that will be informed by and aligned with the themes of the University of Guelph Strategic Plan 2022-27.
The most recent draft of the Strategic Research Plan 2023-27 was presented to Senate, by Vice-President (Research) Dr. Malcolm Campbell, for review and input.
The 2022-23 Senate by-election nomination period concluded on September 16. The following undergraduate students were acclaimed:
- Bachelor of Computing – Zacharias Cymbaluk
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences – Nidhi Nidhi
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine – Melissa Prickaerts
- University of Guelph-Humber – Sonia Ramanan
A complete listing of the 2022-23 Senate membership is available on the University Secretariat’s website.
Next Meeting of Senate
The next meeting of Senate will take place on Monday, Nov. 21 at 4 p.m. Visitors interested in attending the meeting are asked to register through the University Secretariat at email@example.com by noon on the day of the meeting.