Social Media at #UofG
The University of Guelph (U of G) is known for its warm and welcoming environment on campus and beyond. U of G-affiliated social media sites and groups are an extension of our community and who we are.
We ask that, in addition to observing U of G’s Policy on Non-Academic Misconduct, you respect the following guidelines, which have been designed to help provide a quality and safe environment for all our community members. Please take a minute to read them and keep them in mind whenever you participate and engage on social media.
Discussions and Comments
We allow open discussions without interference. However, U of G reserves the right to moderate and control any posts, comments and discussions that fail to adhere to our guidelines, and the University will block repeat violators. Specifically, we will not tolerate behaviours such as:
- Any comment that is abusive, harassing, stalking, trolling, threatening or attacking others
- Comments that are defamatory, offensive, obscene, vulgar or depicting violence
- Comments that are hateful in language targeting race/ethnicity, religion, gender, nationality or political beliefs
- Fraudulent, deceptive or misleading posts
- Deliberate disruption of discussion
- Posts that are “spam” or promotional in nature
- Any type of solicitation
- The University of Guelph does not promote or endorse individual political causes or initiatives
The University of Guelph has a Policy on Non-Academic Misconduct that ALL students MUST abide by in addition to the Human Rights Policy and Sexual Violence Policy.
Please also see:
Protection of Privacy and Access to Information at the University of Guelph
- The University of Guelph does not discuss information about students, staff, or faculty on social media. Should you have comments or concerns please email email@example.com.
U of G Policy Statement on Freedom of Expression
- To achieve its purpose and fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the principle of freedom of expression, which includes freedom of speech and means the ability to examine, question, critique, investigate, inquire, speculate and communicate on issues without deference to prescribed doctrine. On our University campuses, various forms of expression may be used, including peaceful assembly.
While we are excited to hear from everyone and encourage engagement, it is important to note that postings by individuals or others do not necessarily reflect the opinions of U of G, nor do we confirm their accuracy. If you have any concerns about content or behaviour in a U of G social media community, please contact our social media team immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for participating and engaging with our community. We look forward to engaging with you, and we thank you for helping us create a safe and supportive social media community!
Last Updated: Summer 2020