- This event has passed.
Sunday, September 8, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
This two-day Writing Tune-up: Grammar series is open to graduate and undergraduate students, postdoctoral fellows, visiting scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Guelph, as well as Guelph community members. Although you can attend either day, it is recommended that you start with Day 1. Visit the Day 1 description to register for that session on Sept. 7.
During this day-long workshop, a half-hour meal break (at 2 p.m.) and snack breaks will be on your own.
Topics covered will include:
Correcting Grammar Errors
Avoid some of the common pitfalls of grammar. The session includes discussion and examples of these guidelines:
- Make subjects and verbs agree
- Don’t use myself as a replacement for I and me
- Use who and whom correctly
- Make comparisons clear
Avoiding Errors of Misuse
Learn some of the common errors of the misuse of words and expressions. The session includes discussion and examples of these guidelines:
- Use apostrophes for possessive nouns
- Don’t use it’s for possessives
Going Beyond Basic Grammar
Learn about some of the writing errors that affect clarity, meaning and tone. The session includes discussion and examples of these guidelines:
- Maintain parallelism
- Use active instead of passive voice
- Punctuate “that” and “which” clauses correctly
- Recognize when to use the three types of hyphens and dashes