On Orange Shirt Day and the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, the University of Guelph offers our condolences to First Nations, Inuit and Métis survivors and their families. We stand together and mourn the losses Indigenous communities have endured.
Today is a day for remembrance and reflection for all Canadians. We encourage everyone to learn more about Canada’s colonial history and the intergenerational effects of the residential school system and to commit to acts of reconciliation that will help foster a more equitable future.
On this important day, U of G renews its commitment to working toward reconciliation every day.
There are supports available for First Nations, Inuit and Métis students, staff and faculty:
- Indigenous Student Advising
- Student Support Network
- Student Counselling Services, 519-824-4120, Ext. 53244
- Hope for Wellness – immediate emotional support for First Nations, Inuit and Métis people, call 1-855-242-3310, or by online chat at hopeforwellness.ca
- Good2Talk, 1-866-925-5454
- Crisis Text Line, text “UofG” to 686868
- Keep.meSAFE (for international students), 1-844-451-9700
- Multi-Faith Resource Team, 519-824-4120, Ext. 58909
- Employee Assistance Program (for faculty and staff), 1-800-265-8310