As a reminder: Charges for parking on campus resume Sept. 1. The following article was posted earlier this summer to outline upcoming changes that take effect next month.
In March 2020, U of G waived parking fees while many of our students, faculty and staff learned and worked remotely. In September, as University operations start to return to normal, parking charges will resume.
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, the following changes will take effect:
- New tiered-pricing parking zones and updated rates. Parking lots are no longer separately designated for faculty, staff or student use only. Subject to availability, permits may be purchased for any black (premium interior), red (basic interior) or yellow (value perimeter) lot. See the Campus Parking Map to identify lots by colour. Permits for the year, semester or month may be purchased at any time.Learn more about the new lot types on the Campus Parking website.
- Cashless payments at lots and in the Parking Services office. Use the PayByPhone app or the 1-800 number at designated spots to pay by the hour or by the day. Cash is no longer accepted in lots or at the Parking Services office.
- Parking Services accounts for permit purchases. To purchase a permit, you must have a Parking Services account. Use your account to pay for specific permit types via payroll deduction, Visa, Mastercard or Visa Debit.
- Virtual permits replace previous physical parking permit tags. When purchasing a permit, you must register it to a licence plate; up to three licence plates may be linked to one permit.
- Daily permits replace previous scratch booklets of parking passes. Discounted day-use permits are available for faculty, staff and students and must be purchased in advance using your Parking Services account.
- Updated Parking Policy and Traffic and Parking Regulations.
Registration for parking permits begins July 12; charges for parking on campus begin Sept. 1.
Parking rates as of Sept. 1, 2021
|Permit Type||Parking location||2021-22 rate (taxes included)||Details|
|Black||Premium lots||$155/month*||Sold one permit per spot for a specific interior lot, guaranteeing an available spot 24/7. Can also park in red or yellow lots.|
|Red||Basic interior lots||$85/month*||Park in any red lot during posted hours of operation|
|Yellow||Perimeter lots||$75/month*||Park in any yellow lot during posted hours of operation|
|Faculty, staff and student day-use permits||P13 or P30||$5/day||Discounted rate for students, faculty and staff|
|Visitor online daily – requires a parking account||Basic interior (red zones) and perimeter (yellow zones)||$12.50/day||In and out privileges for day of purchase|
|Pay by Phone – Daily||Signed spots||$20/day (plus a $0.35 transaction fee)||Short-term parking in interior lots|
|Pay by Phone – Hourly||Signed spots||$2.50/hour (plus a $0.35 transaction fee)||Short-term parking in interior lots|
* You pay the same monthly amount whether you buy an annual, semester or monthly pass.
How to purchase a permit
To purchase a permit, you’ll need an account with Parking Services.
- Complete a Student or Faculty/Staff Parking Account Request form online. If you already have a Parking Account, skip this step.
- Once you have an account, visit the Parking Services Website.
- Log in with your central log-in credentials to purchase an annual, semester-long, monthly or daily parking permit.
If you previously paid for your parking permit through payroll deduction and want to continue doing so, you must access your Parking Services account (sign in with your central log-in ID) and purchase a new permit before September. Payroll deductions continue until you cancel your permit.
This year, annual permits go on sale in July and expire in May 2022. The cost of 2021-22 permits will be pro-rated to September when parking charges resume. In 2022, annual permits will be available starting in May.
A separate form is required to apply for a black zone permit for the first time.