The University of Guelph is committed to creating an open and transparent culture around preventing and addressing sexual violence. To support that goal, the University of Guelph recently formed its steering committee on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Violence, chaired by Dr. Gwen Chapman, provost and vice-president (academic).
The committee will:
- Receive regular reports from the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee (Students) and the Gryphons Athletics Sexual Violence Committee, as well as ad hoc reports.
- Review and oversee implementation of recommendations from these reports.
- Identify gaps, make suggestions for change, and initiate actions that will help us build a safer and more inclusive campus.
- Provide regular updates to the President, University Leadership Team and the Board of Governors.
A call for nominations to the steering committee was issued in April 2021. The selected members of the steering committee are as follows.
- Gwen Chapman, Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
- Sophia Hou, Applied Human Nutrition (undergraduate student)
- Valérie Grand’Maison, Sociology (graduate student)
- Paula Barata, Acting Associate Dean (Academic), Department of Psychology, College of Social and Applied Human Sciences (faculty)
- Susan Dobson, School of Fine Art and Music, College of Arts (faculty)
- Jarred Sanchez-Cacnio, Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor, Student Experience (staff)
- Daniel Brisebois, Residence Life Manager, Student Housing Services (staff)
- Sly Castaldi, Executive Director, Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis (external member)
- Carrie Chassels, Vice-Provost, Student Affairs
- Indira Naidoo-Harris, Associate Vice-President, Diversity and Human Rights
- Martha Harley, Associate Vice-President, Human Resources
- Audrey Jamal, Chief of Staff, Office of the President
- Genevieve (Gen) Gauthier-Chalifour, University Secretary
- Mary Murphy, University Legal Counsel
- Scott McRoberts, Director of Athletics
- Meaghan Morris, Sexual Violence Support and Education Coordinator
Information on the Steering Committee will be posted on the Provost’s webpage in the coming weeks.