Around the globe, people are preparing to celebrate International Women’s Day, an opportunity to recognize the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, and to strengthen the call to action for gender parity.
“The University of Guelph is committed to equity and inclusion for all women,” says Charlotte Yates, provost and vice-president (academic).
“We join with the United Nations in its declaration that ‘The Time is Now’ to transform women’s lives. We are committed to building robust systems and processes and a vibrant culture in which women can take their place as equals across all of our campuses. We also pledge our support for women and their allies around the globe in the struggle to empower women and uphold their rights as equals.”
Be part of the celebration! U of G events planned to mark International Women’s Day 2018 are as follows:
GenEQ Breakfast 8 to 10 a.m. Summerlee Science Complex Atrium
- All faculty and staff are invited to a breakfast hosted by the University’s GenEQ – Advancing the Status of Women advisory group. Opening remarks at 8:30 a.m.
DigiDo – Re-Situating Women: A Feminist Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. McLaughlin Library, THINC Lab
- Help edit women into Wikipedia with digital humanities at U of G. Update or create entries on women across disciplines. Possible topics include visual artists, poets, scientists, activists and philosophers. Draw on your passion and expertise! Never edited Wikipedia before? Training will be provided.
International Women’s Day Conference: Research and Revolt 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. UC 442
- This free conference hosted by the Research Facility for Women’s Health and Wellbeing (Department of Psychology) showcases research related to women and women’s issues, including women’s health and well-being, leadership and violence against women. Attendees are welcome to come and go as they wish.
Bridging the Gap: Exploring municipal policy through a gendered lens 12:15 to1 p.m. St. George’s Anglican Church, 99 Woolwich St., Guelph
- This community panel is co-presented by the College of Social and Applied Human Sciences and takes place immediately after a Women on the Bridge dance event.
Think Beyond Convention: International Women’s Day Speaker Series 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Victoria Park Golf Club (transportation provided)
- Guelph Women in Leadership (a student-run initiative) presents this student-focused speaker series intended to empower and inspire women. The event includes a three-course meal and the opportunity to network with industry professionals.
Show us your U of G International Women’s Day experience! Share your celebration with #IWDUofG.
Have another International Women’s Day event to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.